• JUser::_load: Unable to load user with id: 69

Straw Paper Now Available for Canadian Consumers

August 14, 2012

A straw-based paper that uses 80 percent less forest fibre than traditional paper is now available for consumers in Canada. The paper, branded Step Forward Paper, is designed by Prairie Pulp and Paper Inc. and is being carried by Staples Canada stores.

“Paper made from leftover straw produces high quality and performance that compares with other copy and printer papers,” said Pete Gibel, Vice President of Merchandising at Staples Canada. “It’s an easy and cost-effective way for consumers and small businesses to conserve our world’s forests without sacrificing quality.”

Step Forward Paper is created from 80 percent straw left over as a byproduct of harvest wheat crops. The remaining 20 percent is sourced from Forest Stewardship Council certified wood fibre. The paper is currently manufactured in India, but the company plans to build a new state-of-the-art facility in Manitoba to further reduce the product's carbon footprint.

“Step Forward Paper is the first paper of its kind to hit shelves in North America, and the first step toward meeting more of our paper needs from straw instead of ancient forests,” says Jeff Golfman, Prairie Pulp and Paper President. The company has partnered with Canopy to market the product. In 20TK, an issue of Canadian Geographic as well as a novel by Margaret Atwood was produced on the straw paper.

“Our market survey continues to quantify a clear and growing demand from large paper customers for paper made from leftover straw,” said Amanda Carr, Canopy’s Campaign
Director. “Now we’re excited because shoppers like you and I can pick up Step Forward Paper™ and support a straw paper industry in North America, a key to protecting our
endangered ancient forests.”

Add comment

Security code

Subscription Centre

New Subscription
Already a Subscriber
Customer Service
View Digital Magazine Renew

Most Popular

Latest Events

Labelexpo Americas 2018
September 25-27, 2018
Print 18
September 30-2, 2018
October 18-20, 2018


We are using cookies to give you the best experience on our website. By continuing to use the site, you agree to the use of cookies. To find out more, read our Privacy Policy.