Ottawa-based Dollco Printing, led by a third generation of the Nicholds family, has changed its name to Dollco Integrated Print Solutions based on the 93-year-old company’s new approach to the marketplace.
The name change is supported by a new branding strategy and logo that consists of four “D” shapes coming together. Dollco explains the four “D” shapes within its new logo represent the four key components of its business, including its customers, staff, processes, and print production, the latter of which is still described by Dollco as the core of its business.
As part of its new branding approach, Dollco clearly identifies magazine publishing and product marketing as its two business sectors, as described on the company’s redesigned Website.
Dollco today works with publishers of over 200 periodical titles, while also providing services ranging from target marketing to mailing for both the U.S. and Canada. According to its Website, Dollco now generates more than 20 percent of its revenues through business services beyond print production.
Tracing its original business charter back to 1918, as the Dominion Loose Leaf Company, Dollco was purchased by a former employee, G. H. “Jerry” Nicholds, in 1956. Dollco derived its name as the historic acronym for Dominion Loose Leaf Company.
In 1976, Jerry Nicholds’ ownership was succeeded by his sons, Barry and Hap, who purchased Dollco’s first web-offset press in 1981. In 2001, cousins Kevin and Krista Nicholds, succeeded their fathers as co-owners of the company, which now employs around 300 people.
Pictured left: As part of its new branding efforts, Dollco developed a kit, called 7 Sure-fire Products to Boost Your Revenue, for magazine clients, with samples of inserts, outserts, and special covers.