Consumers and small business owners find comfort and prefer tangible, printed materials despite an increasingly digital and on-demand society, according to a new survey by FedEx Office, a provider of printing, packing and shipping services and a subsidiary of FedEx Corp.
The survey, which explores the opinions, preferences and purchasing habits regarding professional printing services of consumers and small business owners, found that:
• Seventy percent of respondents report having items professionally printed the same amount or more than in the previous year. This is particularly true for millennials – a segment of consumers that makes purchasing decisions via social media and who are more comfortable and savvy in the digital world than other generations.
• Nearly half of millennial respondents (ages 18-34) say they have something professionally printed at least once a month.
• Nine in 10 respondents say they “like to have the option to have printed materials” and prefer reading materials on paper – most notably official documents and contracts – versus on a digital screen.
• Forty-nine percent of those surveyed say a world without paper would make them feel stressed or annoyed.
“Along with the continued use of printing services, individuals polled in this survey said price, convenience, and customer service are most important to them when deciding where to print,” said Brian Philips, President and CEO of FedEx Office.
Meanwhile, respondents who are small business owners say having materials printed professionally reflects positively on their business, and consumers agreed:
• Eighty-five percent of consumers say they are more likely to shop with a small business that has custom/professionally printed materials, such as business cards, signs, flyers or banners.
• Four out of five small business owners believe professional printing services can help their businesses stand out from the competition.
• Nine in 10 consumers agreed that the quality of printed materials is an indication of the quality of service provided by a business.
Print this page